Our Garden Shop has the tools to help you have beautiful lawns and gardens.
Steps to a beautiful lawn
- Take a soil sample to Valley View Farms and have it tested for pH. Our staff will have the answer after just a few minutes and will make recommendations for liming the lawn with fast acting Magical at the correct rate.
- Did last year’s lawn have crabgrass? Use Jonathan Green Crabgrass Preventer Plus Greenup.
- Spring is a great time to reseed the lawn. Check with our garden shop personnel for recommendations for the best grass seed and fertilizer combination for your lawn.
- As the weather warms and other weeds begin to emerge in the lawn, apply Jonathan Green Weed and Feed Lawn Fertilizer with broadleaf weed control.
- Our garden shop has traditional and organic products to beautify the lawn.
Steps to growing seed for transplants
- Choose high quality seed from the many seed companies represented at our store including Burpee, Ferry Morse, Bakers Creek, Renee’s Garden, Livingston, Lake Valley, and Meyers Seed.
- Pick-up a Valley View Farms Vegetable Planting Guide to determine outdoor planting dates for your area.
- Plant seed according to directions about 8 weeks before planting time. Follow specific directions from the seed packet.
- Use seed starting mix, peat pots, grow lights, heating mats and other aids to get started.
- Cover seed with a plastic dome until they emerge.
- Uncover the seedlings and place in a brightly lit area. Water as seed starting mixture is dry to the touch.
- Harden off the transplants before planting in the garden.
- Enjoy a bountiful harvest from the garden this summer.
Steps for creating a new garden
- Get that pH tested free in our garden shop anytime we’re open.
- Determine site for the garden. Be aware of how much sun the area will get and the availability of water near the area.
- Add organic matter, like compost, to the area. Use Leafgro as a soil amendment to aerate the soil and allow for good root growth for new planting.
- Check with our nursery and plant departments for the right plants according to the planting area and to the gardener’s tastes.
- Plant trees, shrubs, perennials and bulbs adding a plant starting solution and/ or fertilizer at planting. Choose from both traditional and organic products.
- Mulch the area with 1-2 inches of mulch. You may wish to add a weed preventer at this time as well.
- Develop a solid watering regimen using hoses, and/or irrigation systems to get the plants off to a good start.
- Enjoy time in your beautiful yard.
Don't miss our Earth-Friendly section of the Garden Shop. We carry a huge selection of ORGANIC and EARTH FRIENDLY gardening solutions from Avenger, Bonide, Concern, Dr. Earth, Earthbox, Eco Sense, Espoma, Grow Pro Organics, Havahart, Jonathan Green, Lilly Miller, Liquid Net, Messina, Organicide, Safer, Serenade, Summit, and Whitney Farms.
Need mulch? We offer same day delivery of bagged mulch. Call the store for details.